Saturday, April 14, 2012

My view from Harlech Castle's crumbling tower

 HARLECH CASTLE, AN ANCIENT FORTIFICATION IN WALES
     On the west coast of Wales I climb a steep circular stairway to Harlech Castle’s upper reaches for a panoramic view of the surrounding countryside. Up there where the winds are fierce, I stand amid crumbling rock surrounded by miniature wild flowers nestled in stony clefts. 
       All around me black crows glare with beady eyes. They screech raucously each time I raise my camera. Ignoring their threats while standing alone at its heady summit, I’m transported back to ancient times when the castle was a bustling fortification.

Photo copyright Anne Gordon

Posted on Saturday, 14 April, 2012


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home